Background

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Recipe: Red Wine Sangria (Bobby Flay Remix)


When I was searching online for a sangria recipe, this Red Wine Sangria I found from Bobby Flay got amazing reviews!  But... it wouldn't be like me to follow a recipe exactly now would it?  So, here's my variation.  My apologies, I didn't think to take pictures while I was making it -- but it is really simple to make!


Ingredients:
3 bottles cheap red wine (I used Fisheye Merlot)
1½ cups brandy
¾ cup triple sec
1½ cups orange juice
1½ cups pomegranate juice
¾ cup simple syrup, or more to taste (equal parts sugar and water, heated until sugar dissolves, cooled)
4 oranges
3 apples
2 peaches
1.5 cups fresh raspberries
cinnamon sticks
Squirt soda

Directions:
In a large airtight bowl, combine wine, liquors, juices, simple syrup, and a couple of cinnamon sticks.  Slice 2 oranges and 2 apples, then add to bowl.   Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.

If desired, remove soaked fruit and cinnamon sticks before serving.  Dice remaining 2 oranges, 1 apple, and 2 peaches, and mix in a small bowl with the fresh raspberries.

To serve, add a scoop of the fruit mixture to a glass with ice.  Fill with sangria and top off with a splash of Squirt.

(You could just serve the sangria with the soaked fruit, as is traditionally done.  Add any other fruits you like!)

No comments:

Post a Comment